the last blog

poking intellectual holes in the lid of your simplicity

Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Instead Of Useful Political Commentary, I Offer Pointless Anagrams

Here are five anagrams for the new Supreme Court nominee:

Samuel Anthony Alito =

1. Totally a human noise.

2. A hen oils my aunt a lot.

3. Late, I halt, anonymous.

(These last two go together. The first one poses a question that the second one answers:)

4. Youth, is Onan all tame?

5. No, yet I sat on a mullah.

Tune in next week when I re-arrange global pandemics! ( Such as: bird flu = rib flud. Damn, that is some hot! anagram! action!)

10 Comments:

  • At 11:31 AM, Blogger Sheryl said…

    That's pretty impressive that you can use all the letters and still come out even. Do those all work? I didn't count the letters.

    I came up with "The Nasty Oil Man," but then I had extra letters. I don't even know he's an oil man, although I guess half of Bush's picks are, so it wouldn't surprise me.

    I'm going back to bed. I guess I shouldn't. It's a gorgeous day. :-(

     
  • At 4:20 PM, Blogger Samwick said…

    "Do those all work? I didn't count the letters."

    Yup. Unless I've gotten one wrong, so definitely count the letters, I always enjoy wordish criticism. Don't want to be spreading around no false anagrams, that's a terrible sin amongts my species (nerd). Because of this nerdiness I've actually sent these around to various anagram web sites. Most people could care less about verbal trickery, but there's a small sub-culture of like-minded nerds who subsist on happily confused words. It's a vitamin for us.

     
  • At 6:11 PM, Blogger Snave said…

    These don't really count, because I had to go to

    http://www.wordsmith.org/anagram/index.html

    to spur my creativity... but there are some good ones here for Samuel Anthony Alito:

    Tonto's mule Aaliyah
    Aha! Lo, my nuns, a toilet!!
    A toil: monthly nausea...
    I null a hot seaman toy.
    Man, I analyse thou lot.
    Ho, I'm a lusty neonatal!
    Laminate a holy nutso.
    My anus lieth on a Lao.
    Lo, I'm total! He an anus.
    Only shit on a tamale.

    Here are a few good ones for George W. Bush:

    Wee hog grubs.
    He grew bogus.
    We're hog bugs.
    Huge sob grew.

    For Antonin Scalia:

    Lo, a Satanic inn!
    To sin in a canal.
    An Satanic loin.
    ...is a non-anal tic.
    A Santa Loin, Inc.
    A Latin, no Incas.
    Anti-social Ann.
    Otis!! An ant clan!!

    Yeesh. I better quit here...

     
  • At 7:07 PM, Blogger Sheryl said…

    Wow, y'all are good!!! Definitely out of my element.

    Most people could care less about verbal trickery, but there's a small sub-culture of like-minded nerds who subsist on happily confused words. It's a vitamin for us.

    I adore any kind of word games with well crafted results. I mean, that's art. But I'm not good at this kind. It's funny how you can be exceelent at some word games and terrible at others. I am really good with puns and rhymes, but once you start twisting things around, it's a completely different ballgame.

    Maybe I should practice. It's perhaps a neglected part if my brain I haven't been exercising enough.

     
  • At 11:25 PM, Blogger Samwick said…

    Snave: "there are some good ones here for Samuel Anthony Alito"

    I actually submitted my anagrams to that very web site. The problem is that I hadn't actually read the Alito anagrams, I had no idea there were already so many. The guy who runs the site, Anu, sent a nice, polite e-mail saying he did not need anymore. I was just happy none of mine had yet been replicated (and I was unhappy that I didn't come up with the "Only shit on a tamale" one. How did I miss that?! The Bush ones you listed are great and I particularly liked some of the Scalia ones, e.g. satanic loin. Nice.

    Sheryl: "Maybe I should practice. It's perhaps a neglected part if my brain"

    Anagramming kicks in pretty fast, once you start it's hard to not pick apart words as soon as you see them.

     
  • At 11:56 PM, Blogger Sheryl said…

    Do they have anagram poetry? That would be pretty wild. Every other line could be an anagram of the previous line.

     
  • At 1:26 AM, Blogger Philippe said…

    I tried to create at least one anagram from Samuel Anthony Alita, but I failed miserably.

    So I'm totally awed by your anagrammic talent.

    The US army may need people with these talents in Iraq.

    If so, why not sign up, for the pay will be good, and you'll qualify for free medical care.

     
  • At 6:31 AM, Blogger Samwick said…

    Thanks Biff! And I'll definitely check in with my local recruiting center, although I may ask for free cookies instead of medical care. I needs me some sugar.

    Sheryl: If you click the wikipedia link at the top of the post it has an interesting article about anagrams. Poetry can be done, technically, but it would be extraordinarily difficult, undoubtedly qualifying as a "high level" anagram. Go for it, that would really be fascinating. Also, at the bottom of the wikipedia page, there are links to some fun anagram sites that are filled with low and high level examples.

     
  • At 10:36 AM, Blogger Sheryl said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 11:24 AM, Blogger Sheryl said…

    OK, thanks Matt. :-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home